Kickin' Ash Bison Stew
Submitted by Perry & Paul Kolesar, Kickin' Ash Buffalo Meat Products
- 2 lbs. Bison Tri Tip cut into 1 ½ inch cubes (or bison stew meat)
- 1 Bottle Red Win
- 2 Garlic Cloves smashed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 cups Flour (whole wheat, all purpose or rice flour)
- Sea Salt (Kosher Salt) and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 2 Onions peeled and chopped *
- 3 Carrots peeled and chopped *
- 2 med Rutabaga peeled and chopped *
- 3 stalks Celery chopped *
- 2 lbs small Baby Potatoes (cut in half if too large) *
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups Bison Broth or Chicken Broth **
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary or fresh Rosemary *
- 1 tbsp dried Oregano *
- 1 tbsp dried Basil *
- Sea Salt (Kosher Salt) and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of more Frozen Peas
Combine Bison, wine, garlic and bay leaf in large plastic bag and marinate overnight. Season flour with salt and pepper. Remove Bison from marinade and discard garlic and bay leaf, reserving marinade for later. Dredge Bison in flour. In 2 or 3 batches, in large pan preheated to med/high, add olive oil and Bison. Brown Bison on all sides and remove to Dutch Oven.
Heat more oil in pan and add prepared vegetables, tossing for 10 minutes then add minced garlic and some pepper and cook for another 2 minutes. Place all in Dutch Oven over Bison. Add 2 ½ cups of reserved marinade to pan on high heat and deglaze bottom, then add stock, herbs and salt and pepper.
Pour all this over Bison and veggies in Dutch Oven. Bring to simmer over med. High heat on top of stove, then cover and bake at 300 for approximately 2 hours.
Before serving, stir in peas and season to taste.
* Use whatever amount and variation of vegetables and herbs preferred … these are just suggestions!
** If you don’t have broth on hand, use 3 cups filtered water with 2-3 tbsp Worcestershire.